Biosensors and Force Measurements in Living Cells
Ninth Offering: May 16th – 19th, 2017
Presented by: Computer Integrated Systems for Microscopy and Manipulation (CISMM)
- Theory and use of the application of forces to cells, and the measurement of responses to forces, using fluorescence-based biosensors, a combined Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) – optical microscope system combined with vertical light sheet, and UNC’s magnetic tweezers system
- Tuesday/Wednesday morning lectures: overview of mechanisms of force generation in cells, and analysis of applied forces at the molecular and cellular level; optical microscopy using FRET based biosensors and light activated signaling molecules
- Tues/Wed/Thursday afternoon labs: hands on experiments using AFM, total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF) microscopy, and magnetic force systems on live biological samples
- Thursday/Friday Morning Lectures: Image Analysis using ImageJ/FIJI for quantifying microscope data (presented by Teng-Leong Chew, HHMI Janelia Research Campus)
KEY NOTE TALK: Brent Hoffman from Duke University
Who Should Come?
- Students, post docs, faculty or industry personnel with some experience with Biology and Microscopy. No force measurement experience required
Instructors: Richard Superfine, Klaus Hahn, Teng-Leong Chew, Michael Falvo & Tim O’Brien
Fee: $300 (includes lab supplies, light breakfasts and snacks, and Keynote Dinner)
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (served by Raleigh-Durham Airport)
NOTE: Applications will be kept in order and we will notify you of acceptance based on space availability. There are 18 seats available for this year of the workshop.
A block of rooms has been set up at the Hampton Inn & Suites downtown Chapel Hill / Carrboro with a special rate of $114. The rate includes a full deluxe hot breakfast, Wi-Fi and parking. To reserve a room online please visit www.chapelhillcarrborosuites.hamptoninn.com and use the Group Code CWK. To reserve a room by phone call the hotel @ 919 969 6988, press 0 and provide the name “Carolina Workshop”. To receive the special rate reservations must be made no later than May 1, 2017.
Please contact Cassandra Houston at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 962-4057 with questions.
|2012 Carolina Workshop on Forces andMeasurement and Manipulation in Biological Microscopy|