This drawing shows the form DNA takes when it is between the microtubule (green) end and a gap from which a loop extends. The microtubule is attached to the DNA by the kinetochore structure (pink), which is 80 nm long. The kinetochore attaches to the DNA (yellow) at a hook-like space near the cse4 nucleosome (shown at the end). There are 55 histones (orange) on each of the "top" and "bottom" of the structure. Roughly 75% of the length of the DNA strand is tangled in "loop" structures, and the other 25% is between loops in a straighter line. Condensin (blue) binds to the DNA at the bottoms of the loops. Condensin (purple) wraps around and encloses the DNA within the loops and where there is a space on the far right. The small green asterisks show where the GFPs are placed on cohesin and condensin in the lab.
This drawing shows the form DNA takes when it is between the microtubule (green) end and a gap from which a loop extends. The microtubule is attached to the DNA by the kinetochore structure (pink), which is 80 nm long. The kinetochore attaches to the DNA (yellow) at a hook-like space near the cse4 nucleosome (shown at the end). There are 55 histones (orange) on each of the “top” and “bottom” of the structure. Roughly 75% of the length of the DNA strand is tangled in “loop” structures, and the other 25% is between loops in a straighter line. Condensin (blue) binds to the DNA at the bottoms of the loops. Condensin (purple) wraps around and encloses the DNA within the loops and where there is a space on the far right. The small green asterisks show where the GFPs are placed on cohesin and condensin in the lab.
Comments are closed.